Geek Girl Rising: Inside the Sisterhood Shaking Up Tech
Heather Cabot and Samantha Walravens wrote a great book about Women in Tech working together for women in tech. Geek Girl Rising is being made into a TV series as well. They highlight some of the history of women who pointed out and did something about gender inequality. We will be answering questions about their book August 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM EST on twitter. Stellicare, a company owned by Melissa McCool, a female founder, is sponsoring the chat, along with the Health Tech Reads team.
Don't have time to read the entire book? Janae Sharp shared some of the first chapter so check it out on twitter and pick up a copy of the book.
Our Partner to help with our mission to get more access to high quality books and promote STEM is Amelia Earhart Elementary in Provo Utah. Check out their teacher projects from Donors Choose here.
Questions for Geek Girl Rising
What was your initial reaction to the book given all of the recent news coming out of SV regarding sexual harassment?
If you could start a business, what would it be? What problem would you like to solve?
How has the definition of “geek” changed over the years, in your view? Has the connotation become more positive?
What advice would you offer your daughters or the next generation of women for succeeding at work (in tech or other industries)?
The "Work Life Warriors" chapter looks at how the workplace is changing to better meet the needs of a new, millennial workforce. What benefits and policies do you think are needed to accommodate younger workers today? Do you see these benefits being implemented?
Which celebrities would you want to see play different roles now that the book is being developed into a TV show?
August 15: The Internet of Healthy Things by Joseph Kvedar, MD
August 22: Casino Healthcare by Dan Munro
August 29: When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner
September 5: No More Mr Nice Guy Dr. Robert A Glover
Want to sponsor a Chat or be featured? Have an awesome charity partner? We always need more help getting support to women in tech and supporting STEM in schools. Please contact us.
General Guidelines for Health Tech Reads Twitter Chat:
1) Please read the book before the chat begins.
2) There will be 4-6 questions, please identify your response to question by identifying which question you respond to.
3) Don't forget to use #HTReads.
4) We assume all tweets during #HTReads are your own.
5) Follow the #HTReads twitter account for more information and updates. @healthtechreads.
6) #HTReads last one hour.
7) Through the eyes of celebrated authors and their works, #HTReads hopes to widen the conversation.
8) #HTReads meets every Tuesday 9:30PM ET.right after #hcldr- same day- same channel.
9) Please try to stay on topic and participate with the hashtag. #HTReads.